Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Pacifier Diaries

Strategy: Hayden was upgraded to a big boy bunk bed. Keeping a stern and consistent attitude with, "No Pacifier (AKA Nook) in the big boy bed." I also prepped Hayden a week or two before hand talking about it and also my brother and his girlfriend are having a baby, so we will 'give the pacifiers to Baby Madyson.'

Friday May 2nd, 2008
The bunk bed arrives via Slumberland about 12:45pm. The set-up is complete at about 2:05pm. Nap time is the first challenge. Hayden is EXCITED to see his new bed and he doesn't ask for his pacifier at all! He lays in his bed and reads books and talks to Julianna (one of my daycare kids) longer than usual, but goes to bed. Hayden is asleep by 2:40pm. Hayden wakes at 4pm. First, asleep time without the pacifier is a success. He didn't sleep as long as usual, but he slept well and long enough. I am happy. The training is put on hold, since the boys are sleeping at my mom's house due to my cousin's wedding events (pretty certain Hayden had his pacifier) and they continue there until Saturday evening. When my mother in law takes the kids over night. Though Saturday evening, my mother-in-law did NOT give Hayden his nook without even having me ask :) Thanks Minda!**NOTE: This is the worst possible weekend to start the process with my cousin's wedding and all, but it had to be done!

Sunday May 4th, 2008
We get the boys back at 9am, so the first feat is going to be nap time again. It is 1:15pm and we change Hayden's diaper and get him into bed. We read him a story and say our usual, "Good night(ni-night), I love you." He asked for it when we were going up the stairs and I reminded him that we don't need a pacifier. He responds with an, "oh." No problem there. He is asleep within 10 minutes and wakes up at 4pm. I am delighted, and feeling great that this process is going so smoothly....then the evening comes. It is 9pm and Hayden is ready for bed. He confirms also that he is. I lay in bed with him and read stories and snuggle. I tell him that after this book, Hayden is going to sleep. He has no problem. I am cleaning up to get ready for the week and I go to put the boys' suitcase in Hayden's room and he sees me and begins to cry. 'Oh great' goes through my head. Usually, there is no problem, so I didn't think anything of it when I quietly placed their suitcase in Hayden's room. He began to cry and I did what NO parent should do, I laid with him. His eyes were heavy, very heavy. When I thought he was sleeping, I snuck out of the bed and he spotted me. I told him that 'mommy had to sleep in mommy's bed.' I left the room. He cried and then he was quiet. He cried and then he was quiet. This continues for 45 minutes. By this time, Ronnie is exhausted and is at the point where he wants me to just give him his pacifier, so he can sleep. I can feel the exhaustion overwhelm me, especially from our long and busy weekend. Hayden is finally asleep. at 1:26am Hayden is awake and he is screaming. Tantrum starts going. I beg Ronnie not to go in and he does anyway. He is convinced that Hayden is sad and needs hugs. I am angry at this point, because Hayden is not sad. He is angry, tired and wants his pacifier! For the rest of the night, Ronnie sleeps with him. I am HIGHLY disappointed and VERY irritated. He just set us back a day of this pacifier training. Sunday night was pointless! URGH!

Monday May 5th, 2008 Cino De Mayo
Nap time couldn't come fast enough. I was T-I-R-E-D. The kind of tired where you start to see double. Nap time went very well. Hayden slept for 3 hours! He was tired. That evening, we kept T.V. off for a good 2 hours before bed. Then when it was time, Hayden didn't ask for the pacifier once. I was happy. He actually even told me, "Mommy, no nook in the big boy bed." I told him that he was such a big boy and that mommy was very proud of him. Hayden went to bed that night and didn't wake up once and didn't have any problems. I woke up refreshed. I can't say this is the end of our trial with the nook, but I have made the decision that Hayden doesn't need it anymore. I can teach him other ways to cope and he put him self to sleep.

No comments: