Yesterday was one if the worst school shootings in US history. A man in his mid-20's was basically at a wall in his life and decided to open fire in an elementary school in Connecticut. 20 children, 6 adults and the shooter are dead. A kindergarten class was taken out and even execution style. They know that his mother (who he killed first at her home) worked at the school but everyone is trying to find reason and sense of this tradegy.
I really haven't appreciated my kids the last week. They are defiant and crazy with the excitement of Christmas. Yesterday when they came home from school, I just held them with tears in my eyes (ok I was crying) and they probably thought I was crazy. In some weird and selfish way, I needed a slap in the face to look at my kids in a different way. I also took this tragedy to have a talk with my children about bad people in this world but there's also many, many great people in this world. The world is fixated on the sadness of this shooting but also there is a nation united to feel support and love for the losses today. With bad, there's good. You have to just figure who is who. I also like a blog that had a great post about this tragedy and how to cope with the hopelessness: http://creativewithkids.com/how-can-we-find-hope-in-a-time-of-tragedy/
Hug your children more, find ways to connect with them everyday, control your temper when your buttons are pushed, and teach them when life happens. We are only human but be a good one, a decent one.
No comments:
Post a Comment