Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wyatt's Doctor Visit

I had another interesting day, but this time it was just Wyatt. I woke up and NEEDED a shower, it just had to happen. I was getting up to get Wyatt as he was waking up and Ronnie was getting up with me. Usually, Ronnie sleeps longer, because he doesn't have to leave the house until 8:30am. So, I gave him my face that must have said, "Where are you going?" He informed me that he had to be at work early! GRRRRR! Usually, he watches the boys, while I get a fast shower in. I didn't have a choice, I had to get a shower in. So, I got Wyatt up and brought him in the bathroom with me. I grabbed a couple toys, put the gate up and prayed he would stay distracted enough for me to take a 5 minute shower. Nope. Not going to happen. He starts whaling the minute I step in. He wants to come in, too. In hind sight, I should have stripped him down and brought him in, but it was too late, he woke Hayden up. I can't catch a break. Hayden was fine playing in his room, but Wyatt was mad and he was letting me know. He was so upset and nothing was making him happy, so I put him in his crib to mellow. My list of options were minimal with soap in my hair and my 15 month old that doesn't know the meaning of reason yet. So, I finished my shower within 5 minutes and put a towel on to go and get him. He was mellow and ready to come out. I was relieved. I felt so bad, but I remember having to do that with Hayden because he would get so frustrated at this age.

Hayden's room is right across from the bathroom, so I opened the bathroom door and finished getting ready. Wyatt began to cry and I looked over and he was playing with my BIG yoga/pilates ball like he always does. I told Hayden not to touch the ball because Wyatt was playing with it and that was that.

We all proceeded down stairs and I noticed that Wyatt had a bump on his head. "What is that?" It was above his ear on the hairline about 1/4 of the size of a golf ball. Did he bump his head when he cried? He sure didn't make much of it? I watched it for about an hour and it was hard. I began thinking, "what if it is hard because it is under his skull?"

I called the nurse. She told me to bring him in. I was sick. What if something is wrong? I called my dad and asked him to help me out with the daycare while I took Wyatt. I only had one daycare child that morning. so, that was lucky. I got in and the nurse asked a million questions and then I realized that he was due for his 15 month exam, too. Thankfully, the doctor was able to do it. Since I didn't know exactly what happened and I didn't see it, she suggested an x-ray and I quickly agreed. The radiology department had me leave the room and I was pacing the doorway and I could hear my baby crying while they took the X-ray. I am sick. He must be so scared, but the techs were excellent because he stopped and never cried for the rest of the process. The tech informed me that Wyatt was amused with the Ernie sticker that they let him have. I was relieved that he wasn't freaking out and scared the whole time.

We went back to the doctor side to wait for the results...He was fine. I was so relieved and happy that the swelling would go down in a matter of time. Wyatt is healthy and growing up fast. But I can't wait until this stage is over, because he gets hurt all the time. I have been trying to get pictures done and he keeps getting bug bites, scratches and bumps on his face. Ahhh, what a boy, what a day.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay- I am so happy that you have a blog too!! Anyways, boys are so tough. Anthony had two black eyes right before school that he created by walking into things. I figured social services would be at my door but remided myself that they probably see boys like that all the time because they are constantly running, jumping, wrestling...I can relate.